Whether becoming a parent for the first time or making an addition to the team, it’s an exciting and overwhelming experience. There are many things to consider and prepare for, including the clothing essentials for your new bundle of joy. We’re here to help and turn this sometimes daunting experience into a pleasant one, so we’ve made a list of baby clothing essentials with some handy tips on choosing the best ones for your baby.
What Is the Proper Way to Dress a Baby?
Before we dive into the details, let’s understand why choosing the right clothes for your baby is crucial. Babies have delicate skin that is sensitive to harsh fabrics. The clothes must be comfortable, soft, and breathable. Additionally, babies tend to make messes frequently, so the clothes should be easy to clean.
Baby Clothing Essentials
One of the most practical baby clothes, the onesie, or a bodysuit, is a must-have item in your baby’s wardrobe. Besides being incredibly versatile and easy to put on and take off, comfy and fun onesies for kids come in different styles, such as short and long sleeves. But all feature the same design: a one-piece garment with snaps at the bottom. They can be worn alone or layered with other clothes to keep the baby warm.
Here are a few things to consider when shopping for baby onesies:
- Consider the type of closure. Kid onesies come with two closure types: snaps or zippers. Snap buttons are easy to open and close but can be time-consuming when changing diapers frequently. Zippers, on the other hand, are quicker and more convenient. However, they can be challenging to use with a wiggly baby.
- Ensure to choose a size that fits your baby well. A too-tight onesie can be uncomfortable, while a too-loose one can cause safety issues. Also, consider buying different sizes as babies grow fast.
- Consider the fabric type and quality. Choose onesies for kids made of soft and breathable materials like cotton or bamboo that are gentle on the baby’s skin. Also, look for options with stretchy necklines and snap closures for easy dressing. Avoid onesies with rough seams or tags that irritate your baby’s delicate skin.
- Decide on quantity. Plan to have at least 5-7 onesies on hand since babies go through multiple outfits due to diaper blowouts, spit-up, and other messes.
- Don’t forget about style. Bodysuits come in various kinds, from simple white ones to ones with cute designs or sayings. Choose a kid’s onesie that fits your style and preference.
- Sleepsuits are another essential item in your baby’s wardrobe. Designed to keep the baby warm and comfortable while sleeping, they come in different styles, such as footed or footless. Footed sleepsuits are ideal for newborns as they keep their feet warm, while footless sleepsuits are suitable for older babies learning to walk.
When buying sleepsuits, consider the fabric type. Choose a soft material that does not irritate the baby’s skin and will keep your baby cool and comfortable. Also, look for sleepsuits with easy-to-open closures for quick diaper changes.
Swaddles are a baby essential that helps calm and soothe babies. They mimic the feeling of being in the womb, providing comfort and security to the baby. Swaddles come in different sizes and materials, such as cotton, muslin, or bamboo.
When buying swaddles, consider the fabric type and size. Also, look for large enough swaddles to wrap around the baby comfortably.
Socks and Mittens
Babies have tiny fingers and toes prone to getting cold, so keeping them warm with socks and mittens is essential. When buying socks and mittens, choose soft and breathable fabrics that fit well without being too tight.
Helpful Tips for Choosing Baby Clothes
Buy for Comfort
When selecting clothing for your baby, it is essential to prioritise their comfort above all else. Babies have delicate skin that is easily irritated, so choose garments that are soft, breathable, and made from natural materials like cotton or bamboo. Avoid clothing that has tags, zippers, or buttons that can scratch or irritate their skin.
Choose the Right Size
Babies grow fast, so buying clothing in a larger size that they can wear for longer can be tempting. However, oversized clothing can be uncomfortable and potentially dangerous for your baby. Make sure to buy clothing that fits your baby correctly, and only buy a few items in the same size since they will outgrow them quickly.
Babies are messy, and their clothing should be easy to clean and maintain. Look for clothing that is machine washable and can withstand frequent washings. Also, prioritise functionality when it comes to dressing your baby. Clothing with snaps or zippers makes diaper changes and getting dressed much more effortless, especially during those sleep-deprived middle-of-the-night moments.
Consider the Weather
It’s crucial to dress your baby appropriately for the weather, so pay attention to the temperature and weather conditions when selecting their clothing. Choose lightweight and breathable clothing for warmer months, and opt for thicker and warmer materials in colder months. Remember that babies lose heat quickly, so it’s always a good idea to dress them in layers you can easily remove or add.
To Sum Up
Buying baby clothing essentials can be overwhelming, but considering the tips above, you can ensure your baby is comfortable, safe, and stylish. Don’t forget to prioritise your baby’s comfort, choose the right size and material, think about functionality, consider the weather, and remember to include onesies in your baby’s wardrobe. Happy shopping!